Planning Department Updates: November/December 2018
Good Afternoon Davidson Community Members,
This is the latest installment of the Planning Department “eCrier,” a message highlighting various plans, projects, and events currently or soon-to-be underway. Below you’ll find a list and short description of things that we’re working on, along with how to find additional information about each topic. We hope you find this information useful. If you want to follow up with us about any questions you may have, please do so – our contact information is available on our department’s homepage, which also contains this same list of information on a News tab at the top of the page. Check back from time to time for updates.
- Town of Davidson Planning Department
1. Comprehensive Plan:
2. Development Proposals:
- The plan’s public engagement process – called What’s Next Davidson? – has been in full swing since late October, with staff and resident volunteers attending various events around town to spread the word about the plan and solicit feedback on the town’s planning principles. This initial engagement period concluded in mid-December, with over 1,300 points of contact and 642 surveys completed. Thank you to all that participated! Next up, please mark your calendar for Thursday, January 17, 2019 for our first community meeting – “Conversation on What’s Next.” The meeting will be held in the Lilly Family Gallery of the Chambers Building on Davidson College’s campus from 6:30-8:30 pm. Click here to see a map of the meeting location.
- The two-hour event will cover a range of topics focused on the future of the town. Input will be gathered on topics ranging from small town character and housing to transportation, jobs, future growth and beyond. There will be a range of activities including live-polling, a small group discussion, and interactive displays. Refreshments will be served, and a drawing for fun prizes will also take place. Even if you have not participated in the process to date, we encourage you to attend!
- Participants are encouraged to arrive early to view the interactive displays and find their seats as well as mingle with neighbors, friends, and family. Participants should also bring a mobile device for the live-polling segment of the program; paper copies of the poll questions will be available to those that do not have a device.
- The What’s Next website also contains a host of information about the process underway, including FAQs, news, and background documents; you may also sign up for eCrier notifications specific to What’s Next on this website. We look forward to your participation!
3. Text Amendments:
- Mayes Hall: This project is located on 24 acres at 13297 and 13415 Mayes Road, about one-half mile west of its intersection with NC 73. The project team for the proposed 64 lot/68-unit development will host a second public input session on January 16, 2019 from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. at Davidson Town Hall. The purpose of the meeting is to review changes to the master plan since the first input session and solicit feedback. An overview presentation by the project team will occur at 5:15 p.m. and 6:15 p.m., with time allotted for questions and viewing the plans in an open house format after each event. For additional information concerning the proposal, including the updated plans, please see the project webpage.
- Davidson Bay: This project is currently under development and is located on various parcels to the north and west of the Beaty St. – Armour St. intersection. The developer for these parcels is interested in modifying the approved master plan to reduce the number of residential units and commercial square footage; these actions would require a master plan amendment. The Davidson Board of Commissioners discussed this proposal at their January 8 work session and directed staff to work with the developer to determine an appropriate mix of commercial space and number of residential units for the site.
- The Pines Expansion: The Pines at Davidson plans to expand the existing healthcare unit, add two residential villa buildings, and improve internal street layout and function. The project also includes the extension of Avinger Lane to provide an additional driveway entrance to The Pines; this will slightly change the greenway alignment in this area. Work on the street extension started late last fall and during construction will have some minimal impact to the greenway that ends at Avinger Lane. Community members will see construction and some tree removal for the next 3-4 months as this part of the project is completed. The greenway will remain open for the duration of the project – please proceed with caution! For additional information concerning the proposal, including the updated plans, please see the project webpage.
- River Run Phase 6: At their January 8 work session the Davidson Board of Commissioners discussed a potential project by the River Run Limited Partnership (work with EPCON Communities) – a 132-unit active adult community on +/- 75 acres east of Shearer Road (Parcel IDs #00749104, 00749196, and 00749106). If the project proceeds it would require a conditional rezoning of the land.
At the direction of the Davidson Board of Commissioners, several proposed text amendments are currently under development by the board of commissioners, staff, and the Planning Board/Livability Board:
- Davidson Planning Ordinance Section 9, Tree Preservation, Landscaping, & Screening: This section of the ordinance deals with the preservation and cultivation of a mature, healthy tree canopy and natural landscape throughout town. The board of commissioners included revisions of this ordinance as part of their 2018-2019 Strategic Plan passed earlier this year and reviewed policy implications of various issues related to the updates at their November 13, 2018 meeting. At this meeting commissioners also directed staff to pursue a tree canopy study to inform the proposed amendments. Currently, staff is finalizing the scope of this study and working with Planning and Livability Board members to draft revised text.