A July 4th Message from the Davidson Police Department
July 4th is this weekend! Known as a time of celebration, July is also the peak month for fires and injuries related to fireworks and grills. Every year more than 50,000 fires are caused by fireworks and roughly 11,000 people are treated for injuries related to fireworks. This is also the time of year where more pets go missing than on any other day of the year.
Davidson Police Department would like to remind you to take the following precautions to help keep everyone safe. And don't forget to be considerate of your neighbors, as sights, sounds, and smells can be a trigger for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
1. Make sure your pet's ID tags are up to date/securely fastened to the collar. Consider microchipping your pets, or if they already are, make sure the information is up to date. Keep your pets inside if they are scared of loud noises. You may also want to check with your veterinarian for any comforting strategies related to loud noises. Take a current photo of cats, dogs, and horses – just in case.
2. Fire up the grill, but only outdoors and never on porches. Keep the grill at least two feet away from decks, siding, branches, and any outdoor equipment that can catch fire. Keep children and pets away from the grill and never leave it unattended.
3. If swimming is in your 4th of July plans, never swim alone. Avoid using alcohol around water. And please, NEVER leave children unattended near any body of water, no matter how shallow.
4. Getting on the lake? Be sure to review safe boating practices. Never consume alcohol while driving a boat. Ensure you have enough life preservers for every passenger.
5. Drinking alcoholic beverages? DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE! Be sure to drink lots of water, it's going to be hot this year.
Certain types of fireworks are legal, while others are not. Legal Fireworks:
Fountains, Dipped Sticks, Glow Worms, Sparklers, Illuminating Devices, Noisemakers, Tube Devices, and Snappers.Illegal Fireworks:
Roman Candles, Rockets, M-80s, Cherry Bombs, Mortars, and Firecrackers.
A good rule of thumb: If it leaves the ground, it's illegal!
ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAY AND BE SAFE!