A Map Amendment is the official process by which a property's Planning Area designation is changed. In other communities, this term is referred to as a "rezoning." Since the Town of Davidson utilizes a form-based code, which emphasizes a building's orientation on its lot and its architecture in addition to its use, the Town uses the comprehensive term "Planning Areas" in place of the strictly use-based term "zoning" to refer to a property's land use designation. These Planning Areas are illustrated in the Davidson Planning Ordinance's Planning Areas Map; therefore, changes to the map are referred to as Map Amendments. Below is information about the most recent Map Amendments proposed.
A Text Amendment is the official process by which the language of the Davidson Planning Ordinance (DPO) is changed. The DPO includes the guidance, rules, and regulations governing planning and development within town limits, as well as the town's extra-territorial jurisdiction - areas outside the town limits but within Davidson's planning jurisdiction that are subject to the standards. The standards represent legally-enforceable measures to implement adopted plans and manage development projects. Proposed changes generally encompass: Clarifying existing standards; outlining new criteria and/or instituting best practices; correcting errors and/or inadvertent omissions; and, aligning the ordinance with state statutes. The DPO is a living document updated consistently; it reflects years of collective experiences and incorporates this knowledge along with best practices to ensure a high quality of life for citizens.
There are no map amendments at this time. Please check back regularly.
Watershed Ordinance Text Amendments (Winter/Spring 2018)
In March of 2017, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Stormwater Services suggested that Davidson update DPO Section 17 to clarify standards, address inconsistencies, and remove inapplicable sections in the Davidson Watershed Ordinance. Mecklenburg County provided a preliminary list of recommended changes to Davidson’s Watershed Ordinance on March 10, 2017. Staff worked to incorporate these suggested changes, as well as additional changes to Section 17 to further clarify standards and remove confusing/conflicting language.
Please see the following for additional information regarding these proposed changes. The Memo summarizes the changes, and the Proposed Changes document lists the proposed ordinance text with red lined comments.
- BOC Memo [Detailed List]: DPO Section 17 Update (Note: Additional changes have been made since this initial memo, dated 1/29/2018. Please see Proposed Changes document below for all revisions.)
- Proposed Changes: Section 17 - Watershed Text Amendments
- June 12, 2018 Board of Commissioners Decision (Tentative): The Board of Commissioners may elect to vote on the proposed changes.
- May 21, 2018 Planning Board Hearing + Recommendation (Tentative): The Planning Board will review the proposed changes, receive public comment, and offer a recommendation concerning the proposed changes.
- May 8, 2018 Board of Commissioners Hearing (Tentative): The Board of Commissioners will hold a public hearing on the proposed changes.
- April 2018: The Planning Board Ordinance Committee and staff continued to meet with citizens and hear comments as well as work to refine the proposed text.
- March 26, 2018 Planning Board Update: The Planning Board's Ordinance Committee (PBOC) provided an update regarding the proposed changes, including feedback shared by the PBOC, at this meeting. The PBOC is comprised of Planning Board members (i.e. citizens) that work with staff to identify, understand, and review proposed changes to the Davidson Planning Ordinance.
- March 2018: The Planning Board Ordinance Committee and staff continued to meet with citizens and hear comments as well as work to refine the proposed text.
- February 26, 2018, Planning Board Update: The Planning Board's Ordinance Committee (PBOC) provided an update regarding the proposed changes, including feedback shared by the PBOC, at this meeting. The PBOC is comprised of Planning Board members (i.e. citizens) that work with staff to identify, understand, and review proposed changes to the Davidson Planning Ordinance. After the meeting, the PBOC met with interested citizens to hear their comments and answer questions.
- January 29, 2018, Planning Board FYI Presentation: Planning Dept. staff presented the proposed changes to the Board of Commissioners, who asked questions at the meeting. The Planning Board's Ordinance Committee is reviewing the proposed changes, offering feedback, and will provide an update to other Planning Board members at the Planning Board meeting on Monday, February 26, 2018.
- January 9, 2018, Board of Commissioners Work Session: Planning Dept. staff presented the proposed changes to the Board of Commissioners, who asked questions and provided feedback at the meeting.